Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Spring Break - Trip to Jacksonville

Okay, so this is a bit of an unexpected opening review post! You know how I said I'd probably start with either Snow White or Steamboat Willie? Well, thanks to my brother, that's not happening. This trip was supposed to be low-key. See, the thing is, every time I go to Jacksonville, it has to be this great huge THING, an EVENT! There's a push to squeeze in as much big-ass fun as humanly possible. It gets grating, expensive, and kinda old. Never any time to just hang out.

So this time, I decided to bring some musicals that Jareth had never seen before. Put your hands together for 1776 and My Fair Lady! We got through 1776 - not detailing the rest of that night, because every single solitary lyric WILL get stuck in everybody's head for forever. But then we decided to watch Repo! The Genetic Opera instead of My Fair Lady. Honestly, I think Elf probably would've shot himself in the foot if we'd made him sit through My Fair Lady. Poop...

Anyway, next day, we get back from HaxSpace (really cool crafting space in Jacksonville!) and decide to watch some movies. We made it through Anastasia... but as Alton Brown says, that's another show! Anastasia is, in fact, a Don Bluth film, same as All Dogs Go To Heaven, the original Land Before Time, and Thumbelina. Not Disney, so no review. If you're sad, I'm sorry, but this is a Disney blog and I kinda-sorta thought I'd made a big FLOWERY point about that.

Moving right along (sing along if you know the Muppets!), we come to Bedknobs and Broomsticks! Now, a touch of back-story. I got a bunch of my movies as a kid because my lovely, wonderful Grandma was a little obsessive with the VCR! Yeah, this was back when Disney actually ran COMMERCIAL-FREE movies on Disney Channel! Can I get some props from my lovelies who remember those days? *peers about* Anyone?

Well, anyway... Apparently my Bedknobs and Broomsticks had been altered by Disney for time. The version I watched last night had a whole bunch of stuff I hadn't seen before! I mean, the one Grandma taped for me wasn't bad - still got it, by the way. All the main stuff was there. But the version on Jareth's computer had some dialogue I hadn't heard and a whole song I'd never even heard of! It was kind of blah anyway, so it doesn't matter that they cut it. It was just Miss Price going on about Professor Browne leaving. It was sort of irritating.

I guess this really isn't much of a review. Then again, I'm pretty damn wiped out after driving back from Jacksonville. The only mention I really had was the footage I hadn't seen before.

On a non-Disney note, I'm super-psyched for the new episode of Criminal Minds tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment